no boot with kernel 2.6.31-2.fc12.i686.PAE

martin tack tack649 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:34:04 UTC 2009

2009/9/15 José Matos <jamatos at fc.up.pt>

> Hi,
>        my desktop machine that is running rawhide does not boot with the
> latest
> kernel (2.6.31-2.fc12.i686.PAE). I get the following error message when
> booting:
>
> ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
> kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> The same system runs fine with 2.6.31-0.204.rc9.fc12.i686.PAE as it had
> with
> all the kernels tested until the final 2.6.31.
>
> IS this known? Should I report this to bugzilla and if so what information
> is
> needed?
>
> Regards,
> --
> José Abílio
>
> --

Hello,

it seems like there are more problems with kernel 2.6.31-2.fc12.
Mine is x86_64 ,but I think you have the same issue as I do.

Reboot and edit the grub start line for yours , ad after all other arguments
a space and 3

boot will bring you in level 3 ,and after your login the command "startx"
should
give your desktop again .

Look also : Dracut or Selinux problem (14-9) on this forum ,and from there
the bugzilla links.

I can't give the links herein , it doesn't work this moment !

If this and the former helps you out for the time being ,please give a sign
,
I' m following it up .

Greetings,

--