bind-chroot???

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 09:15:02 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:

>I finally got my brain wrapped around the new bind-chroot scheme in
>fedora 11, and I'm trying to test bind on rawhide and use what
>I assume will be the same scheme, and now bind-chroot populates
>/var/named/chroot with all sorts of junk instead of leaving it
>empty. What's going on? Has the whole scheme changed back again?
>For now, I've just given up on even trying to run bind chrooted...

Tom - I have got bind-chroot working is several F11 machines and the
way I did it was as follows:

1) Install bind-chroot

2) Add lines to the end of /etc/sysconfig/named
ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot
OPTIONS="-4"

The latter if you need to restrict to ipv4, and the former defining
where the chroot jail is.

3) I then install system-config-bind and execute it - this gives an
initial set of basic files in the right place in the chroot.

4) Start the named service to see if it works.  If it grumbles about
rndc then check that rndc.key in /etc/rndc.key is the same as in
/var/named/chroot/etc/ and if not then copy the file from
/var/named/chroot/etc/rndc.key to /etc/

Then add your own zone files and customisation for your own situation.

This seems to work without problems for me in F11.

--
mike