Preupgrade to rawhide?

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Fri Sep 25 01:06:14 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 00:57 +0300, shmuel siegel wrote:
>
>> Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>>> Please provide the output I asked you for.
>>>

>> sorry it took so long. I had to change my xorg.conf back to nv from
>> nouveau so that I could boot my machine.
>>
>> 00:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation C51G
>> [GeForce 6100] [10de:0242] (rev a2)
>>

> if your problem is simply that X flat out doesn't work with the nouveau
> driver at present on your card, that'd certainly explain why
> installation doesn't work, because installation uses X just the same way
> as a regular running system does, so it'll be trying to use nouveau. if
> you use the kernel parameter 'xdriver=vesa' when running the installer,
> does that workaround the problem?

Mixed bag results. Turning on the xdriver=vesa let the preupgrade run. I
now have an X-less fc12 system. I don't know what the system is trying
to run. Xorg.0.log has many messages from nouveau (including GPU freeze)
even though the command line said vesa and xorg.conf said nv. I didn't
come up with a combination that worked.