Dependency issues in Fedora 11

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Sat Sep 26 11:13:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 15:16:47 +0530, Saurabh wrote:

> Finding dependency issues in fedora 11.
>
> # yum update -y
>
> -- snipped out --

That's a bad habit.  Truncating Yum output often kills the interesting
details, such as information about repositories, updates/upgrades and
packages that might try to replace other packages.

> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.13-6.fc11.i586 from installed has depsolving
> problems
>   --> Missing Dependency: libass.so.3 is needed by package
> gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.13-6.fc11.i586 (installed)
> Error: Missing Dependency: libass.so.3 is needed by package
> gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.13-6.fc11.i586 (installed)

The first thing I would do in such a case, is to run

  rpm --query --whatprovides libass.so.3

to see whether your installed packages do provide this library.
If so, I would run

  repoquery --whatprovides libass.so.3
  repoquery --whatobsoletes libass

if packages in the repository still provide that library.
Perhaps something obsoletes the "libass" package.

> Though i used '# yum update --skip-broken -y' as a work around as
> guided.

And then the full output of another "yum update" is much shorter,
isn't it? What did you get when trying it again?