F12/Rawhide+nomodset vs. F11 radeon r700 support

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Wed Jan 6 02:28:36 UTC 2010

On 01/06/2010 12:18 AM, François Cami wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:56:54 +0100
> "Dennis J."<dennisml at conversis.de>  wrote:

>>> there's no need for this on X.org bugs, the Xorg.0.log file contains
>>> sufficient information on the graphics hardware.
>>
>> This bug seems to be both a KMS bug and a Xorg bug. I can get boot into
>> runlevel 3 but the display isn't initialized properly and the only way I
>> got some of the debug information attached to the bug was by blindly
>> logging in, setting up sshd and then logging in from another machine.
>>
>> The second problem is that when I boot with nomodeset I get to the desktop
>> but it is so slow it cannot be used for regular work. I'm not sure if that
>> is a bug or because the radeon driver now requires KMS for any sort of 2D
>> acceleration.
>
> On most radeons, both UMS and KMS are accelerated on Fedora 12.
> That may not be the case for R700, and at any rate we'd rather have
> the KMS codepath working than the older UMS.
> If booting into KMS/runlevel 3 fails, it's a KMS problem, Xorg has no
> way to recover from that.
> On the other hand, your logs show both nouveau and radeon, as pointed
> out by Jóhann. Could you try booting with the parameter:
> nouveau.modeset=0
> and report?

Success! Adding "nouveau.modeset=0" did the trick and the machine now boots
into runlevels 3 and 5 with the displays native resolution of 1920x1200.
Two things though:

1. During boot I just got the same boring old progress bar at the bottom
that I also get on F11. Aren't I supposed to see a funky boot plugin with KMS?

2. While the performance is not as unusable as it was with "nomodeset" It's
still a lot worse compared to F11. I can barely play a youtube video. (eats
one of my two cpu cores almost completely whereas on F11 that takes about
15% in "top")

Regards,
   Dennis