Fedora install support for netbooks -- small screen size

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 17:26:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 11:11 -0500, Fulko Hew wrote:
>
> > I had a rant on the list about  an equivalent issue a few months ago.
> > As far as I'm concerned either developers should never assume fixed
> > window sizes, or
> > something/somewhere should auto-enable scroll bars if the requested
> > window can't fit on
> > the provided screen size.  I think this would be easier to implement
> > than auto-enabled vitrtual screen sizes.
>
> So that 64x64 screen on your cell phone should be a reasonable target
> then, yes?

Well, uhmm... doesn't it have to be? ;-()
Auto-scroll bar's would at least make it possible to work (even if its
inconvenient);
but without it, it's _impossible_ to use.

The only alternative would be to re-design the UI based on expected hardware
limitations.

I was (only) trying to address typical problems I've seen lately...
where, for example, the designer  'assumed' I'd have a 1280x1024 display
because thats 'current',
or, thats what _they_ had, so they didn't even think that others would have
issues.

The problem then got exacerbated when current/new hardware is coming out
with 800x600
screens or even worse.

But for really small screens... ie. custom devices and appliances,
non-traditional computers,
(phones, etc.) then UI's really should be re-designed instead.