Translation review of up2date (was Re: [Fedora-trans-ar] Members of Fedora-trans-ar)

Mohammad Ghoniem Mohammad.Ghoniem at univ-ubs.fr
Mon Nov 8 14:29:00 UTC 2004

Thank you Munzir for your quick feedback. I will be bringing the
required changes asap in shâ'a Allâh. However, I would like to mention a
few points where I would need further advice/help :

Munzir Taha wrote:

> 1.
>
> > $msgfmt --statistics ar-ghoniem.po
>
> ar-ghoniem.po:4173: `msgid' and `msgstr' entries do not both end with '\n'
>
> msgfmt: found 1 fatal error

I had produced five such errors initially, I solved four of them but
could not solve the remaining instance. I cannot see any difference
between `msgid' and `msgstr' entries in kbabel. Am I missing something ?

> 11.
>
> +# Mohammad Ghoniem, 2004.
>
> is repeated on the header 27 times!! We know you'r Mr. Ghoniem ;)

Ahem. :-)
This was not done deliberately, maybe a misconfigured feature in kbabel
(or a bug ?). Let me look into this matter in shâ'a Allâh. By the way,
what do you mean by "the header" ?

> There are other issues wich of less priority and somehow controversal
> so I
>
> decided to delay them.

No problem.

> I prefer you fix those errors yourself and send me the file again and
> I will commit it in behalf of you.
>
> Again your translation is Marvellous!

Thank you so much for the nice review.

Maybe one last point concerning the translation of "First Name" and
"Last Name",  I am not really sure whether الاسم الأول and الاسم الأخير
would seem clear to everyone. For the latter, I guess that اللقب or اسم
العائلة would be more meaningful, at least I suspect this would be the
case in Egypt. However, if there is a standard consensual translation, I
will go for it. Just let me know.

salâm