[Fedora-trans-ar] arabic-fedora.org logo

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Thu Nov 18 01:38:31 UTC 2004

On Yaum al-Arbi'a 04 Shawwal 1425 16:30, Sherif Abdelgawad wrote:
> > It is targeting Arabic users !!
>
> It is a product name too !??  I tend to leave the product names as it is.
> There is a translation of Fedora which is koba3a da2erya mesh 3aref 2ieh :)

I always laugh at you transliterations ;)

> It is important to keep the meaning of things not only to have nice arabic
> litters. You do not see "Toyota" on cars in the arab world wrote in arabic
> and it is a product addressing arabs, right ?  You may say , some of the
> names has been written in arabic for some products, because it is a Name.
> Yet, in our case here "Fedora" has meaning, like other products which has
> meaning , and they stick to the english one.
>
> You want to say this is related to "Fedora" Logo , the original or the
> product,
> so you need to keep the name as the owner has the trade mark for.

Sherif wants to say that legally it's illegal to transliterate. I am not a
lawyer and copyright, trademarks, patent issues drives me mad but I tend to
agree with him for this reason and another one which I will tell you about
when you translate Kcalc for me (WARNING: I am trying to trap you so be
careful ;))

The above question is for those who wants to say فيدورا instead of Fedora
ONLY ;)

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA