[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Arabic issue #29: Some Arabic fonts doesn't display any character in Qt

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Wed Jun 8 21:52:52 UTC 2005

في يوم الأربعاء 18 ربيع الأوّل 1426 11:49, كتب Lars Knoll:
> Hi Munzir,
>
> On Tuesday 26 April 2005 23:08, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > On Yaum al-Khamees 29 Muharram 1426 07:31, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > > Qt 4.0.0-b2-snapshot-20050308

> > > CODE:
> > > QApplication::setFont(QFont("Arabic Transparent", 72));
> > > QTextEdit *text = new QTextEdit(trUtf8("بس"));

> > > Nothing is displayed in QTextEdit though two characters are passed to
> > > the constructor.
> >
> > Now I can even say that Qt handling of fonts is very buggy. I checked
> > with your demos/textedit/textedit:
>
> I checked, and I found a bug when using very large fonts. I fixed that now
> (for tomorrows snapshot).
>
> > Arabic Transparent: doesn't show letters at all or show them broken
> > Diwani Letter: shows gaps and spacing between the letters
>
> Both work fine for me (after my last fix even at large sizes).

Using Qt version 4.0.0-rc1-snapshot-20050608 on
Mandrakelinux release 10.2 (Limited Edition 2005) for x86_64

I checked with the textedit demo by choosing Diwani Letter and then typing but
the arabic letters are rendered in Tahoma font (my qtconfig font is Tahoma)!!
Then I selected the text and chose the font again and now it's rendered in
Diwani Letter. Weired!

Regarding the other font, Arabic Transparent, It's rendered in a font called
ae_AlArabiya installed on my system whether I choose the font first or after
selection!

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available