[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Arabic issue #27: QFontDialog::getFont doesn't display the sample text in the language of the font

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Tue Mar 8 10:27:15 UTC 2005

On Yau al-Thulatha 27 Muharram 1426 11:29, Lars Knoll wrote:

> > PROBLEM:
> > The QFontDialog box doesn't display the sample text in the
> > language/characters available. I expect to see Arabic letters when I
> > select Fonts with only Arabic letters available. This should be detected
> > automatically if possible. Otherwise, in case of fonts which supports
> > many languages there should be a Language combo box as in OpenOffice.org.
>
> Which is difficult. What's the default language of e.g. Tahoma, that
> support all of Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew and maybe 3 or 4
> others?

Lars! Never have I mentioned something about a default language. I mentioned
that if the font supports only one language then its characters should be
displayed. I also mentioned that in the case of fonts which supports many
languages the user _should_ specify the language on which he want to see the
sample. Or else why do we need that sample text? Only for English? Is it
fair?

> This is the reason why we didn't go that way. If you select arabic in the
> font dialog, and you will get the arabic sample chars and only see the
> fonts supporting arabic in the family list.

May be I am misunderstanding your point. But I don't think there is any
problem. Every one who used M$ Word and OpenOffice.org got used to see the
sample text in his language.

> > Another note is that the "Writing System" QComboBox doesn't sort the
> > items alphabetically in the Writing System combo box so it's
> > rather difficult to find the script.
>
> It probably should, you're right.

Good!

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the OpenBugs Wiki page at
http://arabic-fedora.org/
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-ar
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA