[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Arabic issue #27: QFontDialog::getFont doesn't display the sample text in the language of the font

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Tue Mar 8 21:57:24 UTC 2005

On Yau al-Thulatha 27 Muharram 1426 18:26, Lars Knoll wrote:

> > > Which is difficult. What's the default language of e.g. Tahoma, that
> > > support all of Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew and maybe 3 or 4
> > > others?
> >
> > Lars! Never have I mentioned something about a default language. I
> > mentioned that if the font supports only one language then its characters
> > should be displayed. I also mentioned that in the case of fonts which
> > supports many languages the user _should_ specify the language on which
> > he want to see the sample. Or else why do we need that sample text? Only
> > for English? Is it fair?
>
> As you might have noticed, the sample chars vary with teh writing system
> you set in the font dialog.

Ah! I didn't notice it works sometimes. This is exactly what I am asking
for if it would work properly.

> The writing system enum also limits the fonts
> to those that can display. So if you set the writing system to "arabic" you
> are guaranteed that all the fonts you get in the family list support
> arabic.

Really? Let's see... I choose Arabic and some of the fonts displayed are
guaranteed _not_ to support Arabic like Courier 10 Pitch and Bitstream
Charter (displays only English letters in the sample), Clearlyu Pua (display
squares). Even Fonts that surely contain Arabic letters like Lucidabright and
Lucidatypewriter displays squares on the sample.

I also choose Cyrillic and the fonts displayed are Traditional Arabic,
KacstBook, KacstTitle, Kacst..., Diwani Letter, Diwani Outline, Diwani...
which are also guaranteed _not_ to have a single Cyrillic glyph.

Another issue happen when I choose 72 for the font size. The sample simply go
to the right and disappear! It should center itself or actually you should
center it ;)

Yet another issue is the Arabic letters choosen for the Sample. They are
random letters. The best letters for this are
أبجد
for many convincing reasons. Please change this.

And stil yet another issue or actually a wish list is to have an option of
overline in the effects. This is really needed in Arabic since this
corresponds to underline in English.

> What QFontDialog should probably do is to pick the initially selected
> writing system according to the systems locale.

Good idea!

> > > This is the reason why we didn't go that way. If you select arabic in
> > > the font dialog, and you will get the arabic sample chars and only see
> > > the fonts supporting arabic in the family list.
> >
> > May be I am misunderstanding your point.

Now I can understand the misunderstanding. You were speaking as if it were
working.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the OpenBugs Wiki page at
http://arabic-fedora.org/
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-ar
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA