[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Arabic issue #35: A request for an addition of a setDiacriticsColor slot

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Sun Mar 27 15:32:23 UTC 2005

On Sunday 27 March 2005 16:46, Dimitri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > void QTextEdit::setDiacriticsColor ( const QColor & c )   [slot]
> > or may be you can come up with a more generic name that include other
> > marks (accents and umlauts in European languages). I see it as a nice
> > feature to have the Diacritics to have a different color than the text as
> > is the case now in many programs like MS Word.
>
> Isn't this way too specialized? At least for European languages I don't
> see any use for this feature, I've never seen it in Microsoft Word
> either (but then I've never used Office 2003 yet).

I can only test with my Office 2003 now since it's handy. Tools -> Options ->
Complex Scripts -> Different color for diacritics. There is also another nice
option to show/hide diacritics.

> Besides accents and
> umlauts are not separate glyphs, they are part of glyphs such as 'é' or
> 'ü' in fonts with European characters.

Ah! Then forget about accent and umlauts. In Arabic they are separate glyphs
and they are just few. It's also worth mentioning that for Arabic language
this feature is really valuable. The Arabic text is correct with or without
diacritics. For some applications you need to have it appear, in others it's
better to hide them. I am not asking for this to be in 4.0 but I do like to
help Qt be the best API ever if this won't do harm to its philosophy.

> It means lots of work to render
> them separately (I don't know if it can even be achieved in a portable
> manner) and I don't think it's worth the pain.

You are surely understands better but let me tell you something. In Arabic the
diacritics are just 8 and they have their own codepoints:
064B ARABIC FATHATAN
064C ARABIC DAMMATAN
064D ARABIC KASRATAN
064E ARABIC FATHA
064F ARABIC DAMMA
0650 ARABIC KASRA
0651 ARABIC SHADDA
0652 ARABIC SUKUN

So I guess it should be very easy to make a function that would set them a
different color, no?

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the OpenBugs project page at
http://www.arabic-fedora.org/munzir/OpenBugs.html
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-ar
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA