[Fedora-trans-ar] Saaamba..Points to be discussed!!

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 18:32:04 UTC 2005

في يوم الخميس 13 رجب 1426 19:52, كتب Maha Helwa:
> 1. The underscore used to underline the followed character, Where i should
> put this character '_'?

Before the Arabic letter you want to be underlined. I would say stick the way
people used to it in Windows if you don't have a specific reason not to.

> 2. What about the Slash..I find it in the translation itself not the
> originial script.. Shall i remove it or does it mean anything..

Strange! if it's not on the original script, remove it. I don't know of any
reason there should be a slash in the Arabic translation!

> 3. Sometimes i don't know if this word is noun or verb; it could be
> informative message or window label or action needed from the user..For
> Example:
> Create, modify, and delete samba shares = أنشء، عدّل، واحذف مُشاركات سامبا
> Create, modify, and delete samba shares = إنشاء، تعديل، وحذف مُشاركات سامبا
> not clear enough to me :)

both are correct but I prefer the second way of using imperative because
people used to it more. I found it very odd to translate "Administer" for
example as أدر
I would prefer إدارة
and so on.

> Add a Samba share = أضف مُشاركة سامبا oR[ Samba أضف مشاركة جديدة تحت خادم ]

I would say مجلد مشترك instead of مشاركة

> _Add Share = /_ملف/إ_ضافة مُشاركة [why the translation looks like that,

Don't know!

> shall i change it to إضافة مشاركة]

yes, إ_ضافة مجلد مشترك
I would never put the accelerator before letter ALEF since it's very narrow in
width to make it visible besides the issue of HAMZA would complicate it a
bit.

> Visible = مرىء [or مشاركة مرئية]

I would say: don't explain things that are not clear in the english text.

> O_nly allow access to specific users = اسمح بالوصول _فقط لمستخدمين محدّدين
> or it better to change it to مسموح فقط للمستخدمين المحددين

- --
Munzir Taha
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-ar
Maintainer of the OpenBugs project page at
http://www.arabic-fedora.org/munzir/OpenBugs.html
Master CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA