[Fedora-trans-list] Re: new mailing lists for translators

Sarah Wang sarahs at redhat.com
Thu Dec 11 01:53:07 UTC 2003

Hi Martin,

I suspect your concern is quite common so I'm replying to the entire
mailing list as well. Hope you don't mind.

Sarah

Martin Mewes wrote:
> Hi Sarah,
>
> I recently signed up as a translator, but I do not get any info
> somewhere on how to start or what needs to be translated or anything
> else like this.

I totally agree with you about the lack of instructions/procedures in
regard to translation. The main webpage for Fedora Translation Project
(http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/translations/) is quite bare.  I'm
working with the webpage maintainer to try to get more info on the
website at the moment. Please bear with me :)

> Translators are redirected to fedora-devel-list or fedora-docs-list
> which I signed up both.

Well, in the future, we are going to use fedora-trans-list mainly to
post any instructions, information and discussions.

> All I found was:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/
>
> but does this belong to translators to or just to writers of
> documentation?

That's for the writers of documentation. However, we still can translate
it if the community feel it's valuable. Right now, we are trying to set
up seperate CVS repository to store documenatation translations.

> On the main page for Translators I only find:
>
> "All translations are done via po files."
>
> ??? - I simply do not know what this is, because I only use "joe" or
> "vi" or maybe "kile" within KDE in order to do LaTeX and so on.
>
> It would be very nice if you could help me out.

"po" file is normally generated by GNU gettext tool. It contains
original msg and translated msg pairs. It's used very commonly for
software interfaces. You will noticed that all software translations are
in po file format.

The advantage of po format is its maintainability. It can be easily
updated and merged using the existing gettext tools.