Console Fonts

Gertjan Vinkesteijn fed19 at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 1 04:07:51 UTC 2004

Simos Xenitellis wrote:

>This is the soft way to enable Punjabi fonts "soon". I think you can get
>fonts in the kernel as mentioned by Gertjan but this requires prompt
>action and then patience :)
>
>Good luck,
>Simos Xenitellis
>http://simos.info/

It is not so dramatic as it seems to be, if you get a new kernel source
update from redhat, suse, mandrake, debian, freedsb, oh my Gosh I am
touching the weak marketing position of Linux/Unix *) a trademark of
whom? Yes we all know...

If you get the kernel source, ln -s </usr/src/newKernel> linux-2.4,
chdir linux-2.4, chdir configs, choose your config file, copy it to
/usr/src/<linux-2.4>/.config
Your are in /usr/src/linux-2.4, now, edit Makefile and set custom to
what ever you want, I prefer 's'. Now you have to decide also if you do
this as being su user or ordinary user, if you have experience with
kernels since 1975 like I have, then you might consider being su user,
what I always do. From this point on you can adjust your kernel as being
ordinary you (YOU eg) , the example is the su mode.
# mkdir linux-1.9s
# chdir linux-1.9
# find . | cpio -dumpv ../linux-1.9s
# cd ../linux-1.9s
# cd configs
# cp <your configfile> ../config
# cd ..
# gvim Makefile   // put in your subsection title, better be the same as
the dir name
ZZ
# make oldconfig
# make config .or.  menuconfig .or. qconfig .or. xconfig
// trigger your parameters
// now comes the slow part
# make
# make modules
# make modules_install
# make install
// reboot and use with lilo or grub the new kernel

That is all foulks

private mailto: gertjan at gershwin.xs4all.nl
home page (still in crossville):
	http://gershwin.xs4all.nl