Console Fonts

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Apr 1 05:42:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 06:57, Aman ALAM wrote:
> - Latin based
> - Arabic
> - Cyrillic
> - Hebrew

While the default font on Fedora console is the latarcyrheb, but
I should mention that Arabic is a complex script, and just
cating Arabic Uniode text on console does not give you what you
want.  Arabic needs special handlings, called bidi/joining, that
need their external application.  I'm working on one, called
BiCon:

http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=BiCon

> This is the soft way to enable Punjabi fonts "soon". I think you can get
> fonts in the kernel as mentioned by Gertjan but this requires prompt
> action and then patience :)

So am I missing anything here?  What does it mean to include your
fonts in the kernel?  The kernel has a few fonts, but I'm almost
sure it's not supposed to be the place to add localized fonts.

> Good luck,
> Simos Xenitellis
> http://simos.info/

--behdad