libuser -- statting

Josep Puigdemont baldrick at terra.es
Sun Feb 8 20:37:36 UTC 2004

Hi!

Working on the translation of libuser I've found this string:

#: lib/error.c:66
msgid "error statting file"
msgstr ""

I'm not sure what "statting" means. First I supposed it was a typo, a
misspelling of "starting" (for the proximity of "t" and "r" on the
keyboard), but then I checked for other translations that I [barely]
understand and here is the result:

For Spanish it translates "statting" as something like "to state" (more
or less), "to determine" in fact. Like if they had added an extra "t",
which could also be:

#: lib/error.c:66
msgid "error statting file"
msgstr "error al determinar el fichero"

Italian and French translations are more in favor of some call to a
"stat" function (I don't know what's that, really):

#: lib/error.c:66
msgid "error statting file"
msgstr "errore durante la chiamata stat del file"

#: lib/error.c:66
msgid "error statting file"
msgstr "impossible d'appliquer la fonction stat au fichier"

Swedish goes for a "checking the status" (more in French and Italian
way):

#: lib/error.c:66
msgid "error statting file"
msgstr "fel vid tagning av status på fil"

Anyone knows what that really means?

Thanks a lot!!

/Josep

P.S.: I am not a Italian or French speaker, but
for proximity to my language I _guessed_ the translation.
My apologies if I am completely wrong!