Annoucement: New translation status page is installed

Bernd Groh bgroh at redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 23:49:31 UTC 2004

Hi Christian,

>IIRC you hadn't made any such offer at the time you replied that this
>unknown person was the new anaconda translator.
>And IIRC I have also replied stating that yes, I have been since the
>year 2000, and would like to still continue to be, the Swedish Fedora
>translation coordinator, and would like you to make the current access
>restrictions reflect that.

Sorry if I missed that, I'll make sure it gets done today.

>And before you reply that you would like confirmation from the team, I'd
>like to make clear that the active translators are just me and Göran
>Uddeborg, and we've already in the past agreed that I be the
>coordinator. And no, I don't count the unknown person with the dirty
>mail address on the web as an active contributor.

No, no confirmation needed.

>>Or have you seen
>>me offering the maintainership of the swedish modules to anyone you've
>>never heard of?
>>

>See my "perhaps that's not what you really believe" comment in what I
>wrote. With this I meant that I didn't believe you personally had
>intentionally assigned the module to someone else. It was a flaw in the
>new status pages/policy that allowed that to happen.
>Thus my whole remark was a reply to you defending that flaw, and the
>implications the flaw has in effect.

I believe we still disagree here, but, as said, I'm happy to discuss it.
Before, everyone could commit, as such, everyone could be an anaconda
translator at any given time. We've simply limited that to one at a
given time, given there's no maintainer of the module. Of course, if
there are "right" and "wrong" translators, it can happen that a "wrong"
translator gets in before a "right" translator. However, I cannot make
the decision of who's "right", and who's "wrong", I have to treat
everyone the same by default, and then, add other options to be able to
reflect other things, like maintainers and other mechanisms. But, I
still need to support multiple self-maintained translators for a module,
since that is part of our reality too. Alan suggested a [Steal] button,
allowing others to steal a module. Would you support such feature? We
could email the mailing-list of that language about the steal, so we
don't have any "wrong" translators steal modules from "right"
translators without having to justify themselves to the other
translators of that language group. Would that be a feature you'd support?

>>And no, I do not believe that this person would do a
>>better job translating anaconda than you, fact is, I do not speak
>>swedish and I cannot and will not make judgement. I know through
>>third-party feedback that you've done an extremely good job keeping the
>>swedish translations up to date and to a good quality in the past
>>

>Nice to hear that the word is going around.

It is. :)

>[...]
>

>>My statement didn't
>>intend to say that the person who took anaconda has a right to look you
>>out, I simply meant to say that you're invited to become a maintainer
>>and release that person yourself, since I don't think it's my job to
>>decide on who's allowed to do swedish translations and who isn't. I
>>believe swedish speaking people should do that.
>>

>Then we agree. Then I urge you to please scrap the "everyone can take a
>Swedish translation" functionality on the translation status pages. I
>would like new Swedish translation volunteers to contact me first and
>recieve my approval before they can contribute.

If new volunteers were to contact you first, would you still want the
"everyone can take a swedish translation" functionality scraped?

>And it's not that I'm intentionally evil or like bureaucracy. I don't. I
>simply want to know who wants to translate into Swedish. I want them to
>contact me, because I have other things to do aswell, and my time is
>precious to me. I probably cannot hunt down potential contributors, and
>I don't want to spend my time trying. If they want to contribute, they
>can contact me.

For now, as maintainer, you'll be informed whenever someone takes a
module, and whenever somebody commits. You'll have the right to step in
at any time, release someone from a module, and take it yourself. For
everything else, I'd like you to understand that it may take a little
longer, but I am supporting it, and I do thank you for the effort you
put into the swedish translations.

>If you say you don't want to restrict this, then you're contradicting
>yourself. You can't both say that you don't want to be the one that
>decides who's allowed to do Swedish translations, and then implement a
>free access for anyone system. Then you are in fact deciding on who's
>allowed to do Swedish translations.

Well, I didn't implement a free access for anyone system, I simply
didn't touch the system that was in place, since I didn't think it was
up to me to change it. I still don't. But, I'd like to support active
groups in favour of restricted access, and having a designated
maintainer happy to be accountable for the decision to now restrict access.

>Unless you can agree on delegating that responsibility in the Swedish
>case to me, because then you are delegating that responsibility to a
>Swedish speaking person who can make an informed judgement and decision.
>A person that has already been taking that responsibility and
>accountability in the past, and will continue to do so.

You do have my full support.

>>I'm sorry if it felt like an insult to you, it wasn't meant to be one.
>>

>Apology accepted.

Thank you!

Bernd