CVS question, concurrent translations

Hello, this is my question:
Recently, two of our translation team members (I and another member) accidentaly worked on the same .po file. I didn't notice that he has already "Take"n the file. Sometime after, I did a "cvs up" and our translations didn't match. So I had some lines in the file which pointed my version and his versio delimited by ">>>>> his trans ===== my trans <<<<<<" and so on. It was hard to remove them manually, since a lot of work has been done. I solved this by deleting the .po file and did a "cvs up" again, which downloaded his version only. Is there a way to overwrite my changes when updating using some cvs commands?

Thanks