Annoucement: New translation status page is installed

Bernd Groh bgroh at redhat.com
Wed Jun 23 04:07:31 UTC 2004

Pedro Fernandes Macedo schrieb:

> Bernd Groh wrote:
>
>> I did this on request from a lot of people within the community, and
>> I believed their reasoning to be very valid.
>

> Just to add my opinion, this idea is useful. The pt_BR team was doing
> something similar using the mailing list and a website and a structure
> like this saves a lot of work...

Thank you.

>>>   What if it never gets finished? Or never released, or someone else
>>> can
>>> translate it faster, or if it contains errors? Or if it does't use the
>>> same terminology/style as other translations?
>>>

>> If it doesn't get finished in time, we'll release it. If somone else
>> can translate it faster, so what? And I don't think all the other
>> problems are to be associated with the new system, you have the same
>> problems without it.
>

> How will you define the automatic release interval (if you are going
> to implement this)?  One possible problem I can imagine is that when
> the strings freeze date comes closer , a auto-release should happen
> faster than during the rest of the development. Maybe a 1 week release
> interval and a 2 day interval during development phase?

That is a very good question and one of the reasons why I haven't
implemented any such thing yet. If the majority of the community agrees
that the system should be used, and not that cvs access should be
unrestricted, then I believe we should discuss this issue on list.

>> Why? Why does the new system keep you from communicating with other
>> translators in your language?
>>
> It doesn't.. The only problem I saw is that the pages don't show any
> details on how to contact the other translators.. Maybe each page
> could have something like  "To contact the X translation team , send a
> e-mail to fedora-trans-X at redhat dot com."  . The only place that
> mentions the mailing lists is
> http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/translations/ , so a reminder would
> be useful...

True. Not every language has a mailing list though, and to find the
status pages, you have to go to
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/translations/ too. But I agree that a
mailto: to the individual mailing lists (if exist) on the status page
for this particular language would be helpful.

>>>  As for our team (10-15 persons), the procedure is basically to assign
>>> a module to someone in the team, let him/her translate it, and finally
>>> post the translation to our list so everybody can review it, making
>>> sure
>>> the right terminology is used, and that there are no spelling or
>>> grammar
>>> errors, etc, and finally we commit it. Even with all this, errors
>>> occur,
>>> but many are hunted prior to the commit. We solve problems by having a
>>> coordinator, and a page with who is translating what, and status, much
>>> like your status page, but ours is crappier :)
>>>
>>> It is true that with the new system this can also be done, but it might
>>> not be enforced.
>>>

>> Who is actually commiting the files? Only the coordinator?
>>
> Probably. Or any other person who has CVS access. This is probably
> like what we had on the pt_BR team. Just before the string freeze for
> FC2 , the creation of cvs accounts was suspended for a time... While a
> few of the translators (including me) were waiting for an account, one
> person from the team sent the .po files to the mailing list , we
> translated and sent it back to him so he could commit the changes.

The person commiting should then take the module. But if it's a
coordinator, and always the same, this person should be a maintainer even.

>>> And just out of curiosity, are new maintainers automatically subscribed
>>> to the translation list at fedora-trans-list at redhat.com?
>>>

>> No.
>

> It would be interesting if the new mantainers got an e-mail reminding
> them of the mailing list... Maybe something like "All the changes to
> the translation system and discussion about translation bugs happen on
> fedora-trans-list at redhat dot com, so it's reccomended that you join
> this mailing list , along with the mailing list for your specific
> translation project , which is fedora-trans-X at redhat dot com" or
> something like that...

Good point, I'd prefer an invite over an automatic subscription.

Bernd