How to localize Firefox?

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at translate.org.za
Mon Nov 29 06:36:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 13:13 +0100, Josep Puigdemont wrote:
> Hi!
>
> El dv 26 de 11 del 2004 a les 12:50 +0100, en/na Martin Otten va
> escriure:
> > Hello Josep,
> >
> > If you want to translate Firefox, as I know, this is the wrong project.
> > The FC-translation-project only translates parts developed by the fedora
> > community.
> >
> > As Firefox is a product of the Mozilla Foundation you shall ask there
> > for help.
> >
> > Please correct me if this is wrong.
>
> Sorry, I didn't explain what I meant very well :(
>
> There are translations for Firefox (and mozilla) already done. What I
> meant was how to include the localizations by default in FC, because as
> of FC3 they are not (correcte me if I'm wrong).
> The browser is 50% of the desktop, and if it is not translated, we don't
> have a very good localization support, and that's the first thing users
> will see.
>
> I know it is possible to get a localized firefox. What I did was to
> install the "locale-switch extension" from:
> http://benjamin.smedbergs.us/switch-locales/
> and then my locale extension from:
> http://ftp.eu.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/linux-i686/xpi/
>
> But that's only user-wise.
> I'd like a firefox-i18n-<locale>.rpm RPM which would install the desired
> language for the whole system, and that the language would be selected
> upon user locale preferences.
>
> I wonder if some translation team has done something similar for their
> locale, because I'd like to have the same for mine. I'm not
> knowledgeable in building RPMs, so I don't know if such a thing is
> possible or not (I hope it is! :).

Yes I have wondered about this also.  IIRC on Mandrake all localisation
of certainly Mozilla are installed when you install the Mozilla browser.
That does not seem to be the case on Fedora.  I guess then based on your
locale environment variable settings it determines what to use on the
interface as Mozilla has a -UILocale option.

Here are some instructions for building a language installer RPM.  This
has not been extensively tested, in fact it may not even work :)

http://translate.sourceforge.net/doc/project-mozilla-
RPM_language_packs.html

--
Dwayne Bailey <dwayne at translate.org.za>