Translations are incomplete

Sarah Wang sarahs at redhat.com
Thu Sep 30 05:33:53 UTC 2004

How and if the translations will make into the final FC3 (or any other
release) depends on a number of things. To name a few:

a) .pot file is most up2date and contains all the strings that need to
be translated
b) .po file is fully translated by the translation freeze date (include
the strings added after the string freeze date)
c) .po file contains no format error and doesn't introduce new bugs to
final package
d) package is rebuilt after the translation freeze date

a) and d) are primarily package maintainer/developer's responsibility.
b) is primarily translator's responsibility.

c) requires developer and translator to work together. In an ideal
world, I'd love to see developer pulls the latest po files from cvs
every time a package is built. It will give translators a chance to
review the translation in action before making it into final. It will
also reveal bugs introduced by translation (encoding, char length,
shortcut keys etc) and make developer's code more robust. How
translators can help? Perhaps by not making silly formatting errors or
encoding errors and make po files as clean as possible for developers to
integrate them into the build painlessly :)

As most of the developers use bugzilla to track things they have to fix,
it's best to file bugs against the related package if you found your
translation didn't make into the release or test.

I'm not a developer so can't really comment on how po files are being
used and why not all of them have made into test release.

Any developers on the list, please feel free to add/correct my notes.

Cheers,
Sarah

在2004年09月30日的13:18,Sherif Abdelgawad写道: