consistency between .po and .pot files

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Thu Feb 17 19:42:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 04:28:53PM +1000, Sarah Wang wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 15:38, Marcel Telka wrote:
> > Hi Sarah.
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 01:12:35PM +1000, Sarah Wang wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > As many of you mentioned before that the total number of entries varied
> >
> > Are you talking about statistics webpage?
> > If so, then what about fixing the statistics generator to
> > perform msgmerge while generating reports?
> > That practice is common with many other translation projects,
> > for example GNOME's GTP at http://l10n-status.gnome.org/
> >

> Yes, I'm referring to the status page. It pulls information from cvs
> every 15 minutes. It might put too much load on the system to perform
> msgmerge at the same time.

We really need the status page updates every 15 minutes?
GNOME does this only several times a day (two, three? I don't know exactly).

> > > a great deal across all locales. The reason was the po files were not
> > > kept consistent against corresponding pot files. I'm trying to find a
> > > solution to maintain the consistency. Here are some options:
> > >
> > > d. Each translator to perform "msgmerge" prior translation
> >
> > e. Download current po file from the webpage.
> >
> > Options d and e together should be sufficient. Translators
> > already knows tools like intltool-update or msgmerge.
> > If that is not a case then they could download current
> > (and updated) po file from the web.
>
> Here is another option extending option d:
>
> have auto pre-commit check, compare .po file with .pot file, if .po is
> not most up to date, commit will fail (perhaps allow it during grace
> period but give warnings). If the translator doesn't know how to do
> msgmerge, he/she can get help from the coordinator.
>
> Would this option be better?

I'm pretty happy with gnome style of the translation process,
so I don't require such pre-commit check.

IMHO, any barrier between translator and CVS repository
could be contraproductive. For example, I personally don't like
the translation taking via webpage. One exception could be precommit
check using `msgfmt -c file.po`.

Regards.

| Marcel Telka   e-mail:   marcel at telka.sk  |
|                homepage: http://telka.sk/ |