system-config-lvm - comment on "Stripe Size field"

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 13:06:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:49:09PM +0200, Josep Puigdemont wrote:
> We have a problem translating "stripe" in system-config-lvm, because the
> comment on it makes us doubt:

> I know very little about LVM, but how does "stripe" provide redundance?
> I am reading "stripe" as in RAID:

It sometimes does. Striping is the idea of spreading the data across disks.
In RAID5 there is duplication for redundancy, in RAID0 the data is spread but
not redundantly in order to gain speed.

I'm not sure how "stripe" came to be used as the word for this. I assume the
English analogy is with coloured stripes (disk 0 colur, disk 1 , disk 0, disk 1
colour etc)

Out of context it makes limited sense to an English speaker 8)

Alan