HOWTO For Testing New Translations?

Greets,

The "Essential Modules" for Amharic have reached the 100% translation
level.  We would like to refine the translations before going further
onto translating other packages.  This means testing the translations
with their running applications.

How is this done?  I've searched around and find the question asked a
lot but no answers seem to be out there.  Has anyone written a "HOWTO"
or some other helpful documentation?  I'm willing to write one if not
but will need some guidance to get started.  Any help appreciated.

thanks,

/Daniel