system-config-bind

Josep Puigdemont josep.puigdemont at gmail.com
Sat May 21 05:56:13 UTC 2005

Hi,

El dj 19 de 05 del 2005 a les 22:13 +1000, en/na Sarah Wang va escriure:
> On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 21:47, Josep Puigdemont wrote:
> >
> > Mmm, I think I don't quite guet the schedule, then:
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/
> >
> > Do we have "string freezes" or not? When?
>
> String freeze means no more string changes from the developers side.

Question was if we had those or not ;-), but I suppose we have them
under "string change deadline", is that correct? (if so, could we rename
it to the more common "string freeze"?)
Also, just point out that "string change deadline" was on the 30th of
March, according to the schedule (approximately a month and a half ago).

> > What does "translation deadline" mean?
>
> Translation deadline means no more translation changes from the
> translators side.

In that case we can not do our job well, because a couple of modules
came with strings after the announced "translation deadline":
system-config-bind, and recently firstboot.

> > What does "translation build freeze" mean?
>
> Translation build freeze means last build with the latest translation
> included.

That happened the 10th of May. system-config-bind came out the 18th,
iirc, does this mean that it won't have the new strings translated for
FC4? (whenever we manage to translate the 653 new and 108 fuzzy that
came up, notice it was 100% translated at "string change deadline").

> > Could we please sort this out?
> > (we could add the answers to the translation FAQ, or a note on the
> > schedule's page, maybe?)
>
> Good suggestion. I'll see to it. However, we all need to understand that
> above definition happens in an ideal world, and requires lot of
> disciplines from all parties :)

Specially from the developers side. We (translators) try to commit to
the schedule and are in fact bound to it, if the packager is not going
to accept more translated strings after the announced "translation
deadline" (10th may for FC4), then we are screwed when a module or new
strings appear more than a week later (this happened already in FC3,
iirc). Also, I am not sure that all packagers rebuild their translations
before packaging.

> > I think we should reorganize the Fedora translation project.
>
> You are absolutely right. We do need to raise the i18n awareness of the
> package maintainers.

Excellent, I agree with you in spreading awareness to developers. If an
application is not translated into a language, it becomes _unusable_,
and that's like an application crashing at start up, a huge bug (imho).
The worse in FC3 was installing it in my language (not English :) and
having the web browser in English...

> I'd also like to apologize for getting this package in the translate
> module so late. I wasn't aware it until recently. It would be nice to
> have the developers to announce the availability of a new module to this
> list.

No, this is not your fault, I rather think it is the process' fault (as
for what FC translations goes).
I would personally not allow any changes made to these modules after the
announced "string freeze". I know it won't happen, but it would
certainly raise awareness among developers ;-) (and users unfortunately)

Regards, and I apologize for the whining!

/Josep