organizing CVS for trans

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 17:07:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 00:15 +0400, Aiet Kolkhi wrote:
> I agree. Coordinated approach is much more efficient and greatly
> improves the overal quality of the translation, as well as glossary
> and style consistency.

> On 8/29/05, Noriko Mizumoto <noriko at redhat.com> wrote:

> > To avoid confliction committing same document file in same time by more
> > than one translators (or maintainer), access right should be restricted
> > to the maintainer, I think.

There is a timing concern here.

24 October is when the release notes freeze for translation.  By then,
if we do not have separate CVS and automated file-locking available
(Plan A), we will have to use Plan B:

** Plan B **

1. One or more translators from every language gets CVS access
to /cvs/docs.

2. Language teams need to coordinate who is translating what.  This is a
manual process.

3. Translations are put back into /cvs/docs/release-notes/ tree at the
same level as the *-en.xml file.

4. Everything that is in CVS by 31 October is shipped with the -en
version of the FC5 test1 relnotes.

5. It is OK if the translations are technically accurate but buggy
translations, they are test translations, not the final release.

Does this sound OK?

If so, please get your CVS access soon, to avoid the rush.  This page
explains what is needed for access:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/CvsUsage#cvsaccess

We can move the files around later and other CVS magic, when we need to.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide