Translating Gnome Top Level Menus

Essien Ita Essien essien at wazobialinux.com
Fri Apr 7 10:22:34 UTC 2006

Hiya all,

I'm on a team that's currently translating Fedora into some three major
Nigerian Languages.
Currently, we're translating Gnome and my approach is to start from
highly visible packages and span outwards.

I have identified these areas so far:

gnome-panel-2.0 [contains strings for the panel 'Application', 'Places',
'Desktop', 'Run Applications', 'Lock Screen', etc]
gnome-session [contains strings for the splash screen, etc]
nautilus [contains strings for the Desktop icons 'Computer' 'Trash', etc]

So far... i have not been able to identify the po file that contains the
strings for the top level MenuItems like 'Graphics', 'Internet',
'Programming', 'Accessories', etc.

I decided to play Sherlock Holmes on the matter, and I logged in with
the Danish locale. Made sure the menus where all in Danish. Then I
proceded to delete _all_ .mo files in /usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES
and I logged out, restarted my system and logged in again... but..
voila!!! The Top level menus are still in Danish when i log in with the
Danish locale! infact, i'm looking at them... right now 'Grafik',
'Kontor', 'Progremmering', etc.

My question is... which file contains these strings?

I had thought it was gnome-desktop, gnome-menus or redhat-menus, but
after deleting _ALL_ the files in /usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES, i
don't think so anymore (tho looking at these po files, i see the same
strings repeated thru out the three files)

Any ideas first.. which program is responsible for generating those
strings... and then which po files contain them.

Thanks and Cheers,
Essien