XML2PO is weird!

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Sun Mar 5 21:52:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:45:54PM -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:
>
> > > I wonder who suggested that, it's IMHO close to be broken beyond repair.
> > > Asking to modify the structure while preserving parameter entities in
> > > the internal subset mean at the same time to maintain the textual serialization
> > > and to manipulate the document at the structure level, it is near impossible.
>
> Ah, cognoscenti insight at last.
>
> In terms that even I understand, the problem is that xml2po(1)
> strains to handle a construct like this:
>
> 	<!ENTITY % FOO SYSTEM "foo.xml">
> 	&FOO;
>
> in the local DTD part of the <DOCTYPE> element; that's the stuff
> between the '[]' characters.

  Sorry it's hard to be precise without using the specific vocabulary.

> Ordinary <!ENTITY> elements, such as:
>
> 	<!ENTITY INSERT-ME SYSTEM "/a/b/c.xml">
>
> and then later, in the document proper:
>
> 	&INSERT-ME;
>
> are handled fine.

  it's not that it's not 'handled fine' it is handled correctly, BUT
expecting to get the exact same stream of byte at that level after
a parsing and modification of the tree is just too much to ask.

> We should be using an <xi:include> for that anyway,
> so the document authors need to be given a new practice standard.

  I would say that's much more in line with what you can expect from
modern XML toolkits.

Daniel