[Fwd: [apac.redhat.com #40420] Localization - Fedora]

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu May 25 14:37:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:04:47PM +0530, A S Alam wrote:
> >sugest.. Burmese is not latest name for my native langauge. it's just old
> >name. So, it would be great if you can change the language name Burmese to
> >Myanmar.
> sure, can you please provide me some link about that (showing that
> Myanmar is now)

The Unicode standard calls it "Burmese". Unfortunately it is a very very
political issue as is the name of the country. Current practice in the ISO
discussions appears to be  "Burmese(Myanmar)" to keep out of the politics.

> >    - Which fonts should I use in translation?  As of now, we have no
> >standard font and there is no build-in font for Myanmar in Windows and IME
> >also doesn't support for Myanmar Language.. But When I did the localization
> >for SharpWebMail, I used one Unicode which is I like the most.  But When I
> >tried to particapate to SharpDevelop IDE for localization work, I couldn't
> >join that team because there is no codepage for Myanmar Language.

All the translation encoding is Unicode UTF-8, no code pages. Fonts may be
a bigger problem. You'd need to find a Burmese font that was publically
redistributable including commercially (as people sell Fedora CDs) and also
modifyable. At least for it to be part of Fedora itself.

You could do translations which initally needed people to install third party
fonts but they would need to be addons unless they were "free" in the sense
of free software.

Alan