help with cvs

anthony baldwin anthony at baldwinlinguas.com
Mon May 29 23:33:34 UTC 2006

anthony baldwin wrote:

>> Hi,,
>>
>> I´m new.
>> Signed up at the sign up and gave my key, etc.
>> Trying to access the cvs, but I have absolutely no experience with
>> cvs whatever (except the local drugstore chain).
>> So I followed the instructions on the page indicated
>> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2003-December/msg00001.html).
>>
>> And then saw a long list of .po files go by in my terminal.
>> But I haven´t the slightest idea what to do beyond that....
>> and the list was so long and went by so fast...
>>
>> Furthermore, I´ve never worked with po files, either.  I yummed some
>> gui tools for that, so, perhaps I´ll figure that out.
>> I am an experienced translator (and interpreter), but have not worked
>> with software localization at all (trying to cut my
>> teeth here, really, to help my favorite OS, AND gain valuable
>> experience...)
>> I´ve been using Linux since RH7.0 and Fedora since FC1, but am
>> nothing like a linux guru/expert, by any means.
>>
>> I downloaded some gui CVS tools, too.  I have cervisia and lincvs.
>> Maybe someone could clue me in on their use or something?
>> I really have no comprehension of cvs at all....
>> truly clueless....
>>
>> tony
>>
> I think I´m following the directions, but not getting
> anywhere...(where XXXX is, I am writing the password given me).
>
> [tony at localhost ~]$ export
> CVSROOT=:ext:abaldwin:XXXX at i18n.redhat.com:/usr/local/CVS
> [tony at localhost ~]$ cvs -z9 co translate
> cvs checkout: CVSROOT password specification is only valid for
> cvs checkout: pserver connection method.
> cvs [checkout aborted]: Bad CVSROOT:
> `:ext:abaldwin:4534 at i18n.redhat.com:/usr/local/CVS'.
> [tony at localhost ~]$
>

> If I try to use cervisia or lincvs, it keeps asking me for a module,
> and I don´t know what to give it.
>
> tony

Okay, I figured out that with :ext I don´t include the password (on
:pserver).
So, I get a long list of files....
But what do I do with this list?

I can see what´s there, but I haven´t found instructions on how to move
anything to my machine so I can work on it.

Also, If I try either of the gui tools, instead of command line, (lincvs
or cervisia),
they ask for a module, but won´t fetch the list for me to choose.

tony

--
Anthony Baldwin
Translator / Court Qualified Interpreter / Certified English Teacher

http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
English, Français, Español & Português
860-399-7118 / 860-235-8233