Important, urgent: Translation of new browser splash page (only 24 messages)

Lauri Nurmi lanurmi at iki.fi
Thu Nov 2 18:08:12 UTC 2006

ke, 2006-11-01 kello 18:19 -0500, Paul W. Frields kirjoitti:
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 06:11 +0200, Lauri Nurmi wrote:
> > to, 2006-09-28 kello 03:55 +0100, Dimitris Glezos kirjoitti:
> > > Since this is will be the default homepage of the user's browser, every user of
> > > FC6 will see it every time he (she) opens his browser. We really need to
> > > localize this page **as much as possible**.
> >
> > Ok, I translated the required strings into Finnish back then, committed,
> > and notified you by email within 24 hours after the above message.
> >
> > And now, here we are, with a FC6 that does *not* contain the splash page
> > translated into Finnish.
> >
> > Not that I would have fallen off my chair by surprise after noticing
> > this, but still...
>
> The homepage splash is part of the overall release-notes module.  We
> picked up all PO files that were at least 90% finished.

Understandable, especially if you were not particularly thinking of the
splash page while picking up translations.

> If you'd like to get your PO picked up for publication with the
> release, you may need to translate some more strings:
> po/fi.po: 24 translated messages, 771 untranslated messages.

By "some more", do you mean 670 more strings, i.e. the number that is
required to get the percentage up to 90%?

While I see the splash page as an essential thing to translate, I don't
think the Release Notes as a whole is a top priority for us (the Finnish
translators).  There are a limited number of us, and no one has
voluteered to translate it so far.  If this means we cannot get the
splash page localized either, then I don't know what to say or think.