Automerge .po files with .pot files !

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 16:18:26 UTC 2006

A S Alam લખ્યું:
> Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ਨੇ ਲਿਖਿਆ:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to raise the issue of automatic merge of .po files
>> again. I have gone through the following threads. Please read them if
>> you haven't.
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2006-August/msg00023.html
>> ( Agree )
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2006-July/msg00032.html
>> ( Not Agree )
>>
>> Fedora translation repository is extracted from original fedora
>> applications' sources. All translators/localizers are provided access
>> to translation repository only, which is correct. Whenever developer
>> (package maintainer) make changes in the source code, s/he make the
>> changes in the .pot file respectively, but not .po files for all
>> languages. I agree that few developers modify .po files also along
>> with .pot which is good for translators/localizers. But what about
>> those packages in which only .pot file is updated and .po files are
>> not, which is not at all helpful.
>> agree, but that provide more freedom to people to merge their
> translation as they required, yes different Number of strings
> may be issue, for this,
> we can ask Developers to send mail to mailing list when
> POT files are updated by them.

Developers, are always busy. The best example is go through bugs. You
will get to know how much busy they are. Automerge process doesn't
require any human interaction. I have developed such script, if you like
you can use it, and put it as a cron job.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/indianoss/automerge.sh?download

> you know size of Specspo?
> [aalam at aalam specspo]$ du -h --max-depth=0
> 88M     .

If size is the only issue which, then we could divide the translation
repository according to the modules, just like gnome, kde, repositories.
So, that Language maintainers have to check out only particular language
file of a particular module. This may solve bandwidth issue also.
> if it will automatic merge strings and it will be update all files for
> 70+ languages, (where few active languages), then Most Translators
> would not like to download Huge data on their machines without
> any reason and where bandwidth is limited, not hope for
> broadband for everywhere
>
> more suggestion are welcomed
My way of thinking about this matter might be different. So, if anything
else you have please let me know. But, in my humble opinion and you can
see all responses sent by Localizers all over the world, everybody like
to automate this process.

--
Regards,
Ankit Patel