informal translator survey

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan sharuzzaman at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 28 04:49:58 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Some random questions...
>
> 1) Would you, as a translator, be OK with having to use git, mercurial,
>    subversion, or cvs, depending on which app you're translating?

I prefer using single system, subversion is highly preferred. In my
opinion, cross SCM should be handled on the server side, where it is
more accessible to administrators, and less problem to the translators.

I'm sure there is a way to cross import various SCM repository to
subversion. If not, then the next logical, forward thinking way is to
have a standard way to store SCM data, so that it is accessible to
various SCM out there.

> 2) Would you, as a translator, be OK with doing all translating through
>    a web-based application?

Yes, and no.

Yes, if it can help improve the participation of new translators.

No, because I prefer doing it the current way, by updating the source
via CVS, translating it, then committing it to the repository.

Web application is not a blanket solution to all problem.