What's the future for translation inside the FP ?

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Fri Jun 1 15:05:57 UTC 2007

O/H Thomas Canniot έγραψε:
> Several months ago, we were asked about the future of translation
> inside the Fedora Project.
> Some people were in favour of a web UI (like Rosetta) to translate po
> files, others wanted to keep the actual system, but with better tools
> (for stats, updates and merges), and others wanted to be able to choose
> between a rosetta-like system and the cvs/po one.
>
> Then... what has been decided ? What is going on ?

Hey Thomas.

There are a number of issues that could make the life for us translators more
easy. We'll try to address as many of them as possible, and as soon as possible.

  1. One of them is that currently the PO files are hosted on a system outside
the Fedora Infrastructure. Much effort has been given to make this system
functional and the truth is it *does* do its job. However, our growing needs as
a translation project require for us to have the L10N system hooked-up onto the
Fedora Account System, so that we manage our ACLs from there and be able to
extend it as we want.

For this, the plan is to copy our whole CVS from this system to cvs.fp.o, and
begin development there, giving rights to translators to the PO dirs. The good
thing about this is that the Docs Project has already tried this and applied
ACLs which the L10N project has used and have worked great (BTW, we have had
more translations for the relnotes than the previous release, which shows that
the move hasn't affected the translations in a negative way).

I've talked this over with many people from the Board, the RelEng team and the
Infrastructure. We even stepped forward and gave it a try, which was successful.
This should happen in the next week (the plan was once F7 is out).

  2. For statistics, I'll try to hook-up GNOME's Damned Lies interface [1] on
our infrastructure. This should happen somewhere in the next 30 days and produce
a URL like [2].

    [1]: http://l10n.gnome.org/
    [2]: http://l10n.fedoraproject.org/

  3. To better integrate with upstream projects by giving translators access to
outside-hosted projects (like those hosted on `hosted.fp.o` and elsewhere), we
have a Google Summer of Code running. I'll try my best for this, although it's
an extremely busy period. The timespan for this is in the next 3 months.

  4. Finally, we'll continue to monitor -devel-list and notify maintainers for
string freezes, so that we have enough time for completed translations.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/