What's the future for translation inside the FP ?

Xavier Conde Rueda xavi.conde at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 17:11:00 UTC 2007

2007/6/8, Alain PORTAL <alain.portal at free.fr>:
> Le vendredi 08 juin 2007, Karsten Wade a écrit :
> > On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 19:04 +0200, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> > > But the good way would be to fix the cvs structure.
> >
> > Dimitris is going to need to describe to the developer/owners of the
> > software packages why we need to reorganize their module for PO/POT
> > files.
>
> What I mean by saying "fix the cvs structure" is to have a structure that can
> be easily scriptable if I want to use the 'cvs co -c' module.

Well, I think that such script should be generated on the server side,
since on the server you can quickly scan all the folders to find where
are po files, but on the client side this is not possible or too
inefficient. Or instead, generating a text file on the server side
with that listing; then we would check out the list and a simple
script that parsed the directory listing and checked files by locale.
I don't think there is a simple way of orgainizing directories on cvs
to make them script-friendly, since it doesn't work as a file system.
So, instead of hardcoding ourselves the paths, I think it should be
better to create such a list on the CVS server side.

Regards.

> > For CVS modules i18n.redhat.com to move to cvs.fedoraproject.org, they
> > are all going to need some standardization so that ACLs can be applied
> > properly.

One of the issues i think should be fixed is people getting cvs
accounts and applying changes to files without telling the current
translation group. Even if we (catalan group) state clearly on the po
file that they should contact our translation group, since they've got
a cvs account they do changes without telling us. I see it is possible
now to get an account and do that without we noting it, whereas
getting cvs access for a given language should be more under control.

So, for instance, there should be a "cvs-ca" group for
adding/modifying catalan files, and whoever wants to work on catalan
translation, he/she should be included on that team. Also, current
users of that group should be notified if somebody wants to be
included, since i don't think every translator should have cvs access.

Regards!
--
Google talk/Jabber: xavi.conde a gmail.com