New FLP web page, translation statistics

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Wed Jun 13 23:55:14 UTC 2007

O/H Diego Búrigo Zacarão έγραψε:
> Great!
>
> How can I get a pt_BR PO file?

The FLP website is itself a module in the stats (we are eating our own dogfood),
so you can see the existing translations:

  http://publictest4.fedora.redhat.com/module/flpweb

Basically to contribute translations you need to be a member of the 'cvsl10n'
group and do something like:

  export CVSROOT=:ext:<username>@cvs.fedoraproject.org:/cvs/l10n
  cvs co web/flpweb
  cd web/flpweb/po
  # If your language isn't already there, create it:
  cp damned-lies.pot <language>.po
  intltool-update <language>
  <kbabel> <language>.po
  msgfmt -c <language>.po
  cvs commit <language>.po

The only thing that worries me is that in the following days a few strings are
expected to change. Hopefully I won't need to change a lot of stuff, but I just
wanted you guys (and girls) to know it, in case you'd like to delay a bit your
contributions.

The statistics are updated every few hours. It's better if we made LIVE only the
languages that reach a high translation percentage, otherwise the website will
not look good. I'll keep an eye on the stats, but do let me know if I miss
something.

Once published (in .mo format), the language is automatically selected in those
browsers that have the language in their "Preferred languages" config option.

I'll take this opportunity to note something that I consider important here. Our
website is based on an upstream project from GNOME, called "damned lies", which
powers their own l10n.gnome.org. It would be great if the folks that provided
*new* languages for our website, would consider contributing to damned-lies at
some point in the future (the changed strings won't be too many).

[Hopefully by the end of the summer we'll have a way to give FLP the tools to
submit these kind of contributions without the need to create new accounts and
learn new tools.]

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos