Name for our domain

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 21:19:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 21:35 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> The Infra group is in the process of deploying our website on non-testing Fedora
> servers and they are asking us about our domain name. So we have two choices:
>
>  1. l10n.fedoraproject.org
>  2. translate.fedoraproject.org
>
> The first one is more precise, because we are not only doing translations but
> work on the whole spectrum of making Fedora more reachable in local communities.
> Also, it is in line with GNOME, KDE, and other projects.

We can save l10n.fp.o for that whole spectra idea.

Since this current website is focused on translations (tools,
statistics, etc.), it seems safe to call it translate.fp.o.  Think of it
as a subset of l10n.fp.o?

> The problem with it is that people don't know what L10n is (let alone that some
> read it as 110). Even experienced programmers don't know its difference with
> i18n (last week I answered at least 4 such questions). The difference is neither
> important nor precisely distinguishable, especially in Fedora. Most people I've
> talked with agree to use 2 and keep the technical details on our wiki pages.

+1

You aren't the only one who answers that question all the time ...

> So, if there are no objections, I'll give Infra the green light. :)

Does every country use "red, yellow, green" for traffic lights?

Personally, I've always wondered why car taillights are red instead of
green.   "Green" == driving without breaking; change to "red" == I'm
braking, watch out!

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project