What's the future for translation inside the FP ?

Thomas Canniot mrtom at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 6 21:50:04 UTC 2007

Le Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:26:21 +0200,
"Xavier Conde Rueda" <xavi.conde at gmail.com> a écrit :

> > Any other ideas / wishes?
>
> Here my wishlist:
>
> 1. Automatically update PO and POT files. This should be handled as in
> Gnome, were translations are updated twice a day. This shouldn't be a
> work for translators, since you need the whole source code to
> regenerate an up to date POT.
>
> 2. Allow to checkout by language only. Currently you have to checkout
> the whole module with all the translations; it will be important to
> make it easy to checkout just my language files.
>
> 3. Make it easier to obtain cvs rights to cvs.fp.o. Personally I found
> there was too much bureaucracy in order to be added to the cvsdocs
> group just for translating the documentation; I wish it gets easier to
> be added to the cvs group for translation.
>
> I would be glad to help you on this issues. Regards!

I think it can still be extended, these are my wishes :

1. translators should be able to be responsible for the PO of their
choice. There are maintainers for each packages, then there must be a
maintainer for each po file.

2. as a maintainer / developer is warned when a bug is filled in
bugzilla, the translator should be warned when his / her po has been
automatically updated. Could Bugzilla be used for this ?

3. yell on developpers to update the translation into the packages.
Smolt is an example in Fedora 7 : either there is an enormous bug,
either the translations have not been included.

Thomas