What's the future for translation inside the FP ?

Chester Cheng ccheng at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 01:17:23 UTC 2007

Xavier Conde Rueda wrote:
>> Any other ideas / wishes?
>
> Here my wishlist:
>
> 1. Automatically update PO and POT files. This should be handled as in
> Gnome, were translations are updated twice a day. This shouldn't be a
> work for translators, since you need the whole source code to
> regenerate an up to date POT.
.po files are automatically updated every 6 hours for some months.

> 2. Allow to checkout by language only. Currently you have to checkout
> the whole module with all the translations; it will be important to
> make it easy to checkout just my language files.
This has been discussed for long.  The problem here, from what I heard,
is that CVS doesn't support symlinks.  Does anyone know how to solve this?

> 3. Make it easier to obtain cvs rights to cvs.fp.o. Personally I found
> there was too much bureaucracy in order to be added to the cvsdocs
> group just for translating the documentation; I wish it gets easier to
> be added to the cvs group for translation.
You are talking about docs translation.  For Fedora software translation,
there are not any change yet.  We are working on new infrastructure to
make things easier, such as single sign-on for Fedora software translation
and other services (e.g. Bugzilla).