What's the future for translation inside the FP ?

Xavier Conde Rueda xavi.conde at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 16:48:06 UTC 2007

Hi Karsten,

2007/6/8, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 11:22 +0200, Xavier Conde Rueda wrote:
>
> > That's great, I was afraid the process was going to be as complicated
> > as for docs; for me all this bureaucracy doesn't reflect the opennes
> > of the Fedora project. Thanks.
>
> FWIW, you really only need 'cvsl10n' to translate documentation (now);
> this changed a few months ago.
>
> Can you list what specifically was bothersome about the Fedora Account
> System (FAS) process?
>
> I ask because every contributor to Fedora has to go through some version
> of the account sign-up.  Translators have been left out of this system
> for a long time.  The benefits of being part of FAS to you personally as
> well as to Fedora are much, much more than the hassle to each
> individual.

Comparing the process of getting an account on i18n.fedora.com, it was
very much complicated to get access for cvsl10n. In addition to
i18n.fedora.com, i had to create a FAS and a GPG key, which I don't
think are mandatory, nor creating a wiki page about myself. I also had
to answer an automatic message and sign it before replying to it. And
besides getting cvsl10n I also needed access to cvsgroups, since I had
to create some files on docs-common needed to build the documentation
(i.e the "this is a draft" png/svg), which are owned by cvsl10n. You
only need to be added to cvsl10n in case the mentioned files do exist.

> But it doesn't have to be painful. :)  So, serious suggestions on what
> to fix are greatly appreciated.

I think it is too much work, to much pages to read just to get a
general idea of the proces. I found it a very complicated process
since I just wanted to commit po files. It is really needed to get a
FAS and a gpg key and create a wiki and write a straight introduction?
It doesn't seem to me like it is so an open process if they ask me my
phisical address and phone number. It doesn't make sense, you only
need my e-mail. Why so many data about myself? I think an easy basic
process is enough.

I think the minimum steps should be creating an ssh key and requesting
addition to both groups, and that's all, at least for translation. I
understand a FAS can be useful for docs team, but i see translation
team not as a single team but as a group of indepenent sub-teams. I
think getting cvs access is enough for translation.

Hope I made my point clear, i just think it's too much work. I suppose
other people disagree :) . Anyway, I did all the steps, though :) .

Regards.

> - Karsten
> --
>    Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project
>  Sr. Developer Relations Mgr.     |  fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject
>    quaid.108.redhat.com           |          gpg key: AD0E0C41
>
> --

Google talk/Jabber: xavi.conde a gmail.com