New FLP web page, translation statistics

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 20:47:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 21:32 +0200, Thomas Canniot wrote:

> Your work is really amazing as I already told you. However, I think
> some features are missing. Here is how we think this WebUI should work.
>
> We think it should allow a translator to be the supervisor of a chosen
> po file. By supervisor, I mean that someone is looking at and informed
> of the work done on a po file. You could be able to subscribe to a po
> file as well as one can subscribe to a wiki page to be notified of any
> modification. Then one could received mail to know that a translation
> has been modified. Developers are notified for bugs on Bugzilla, this
> could work the same, with an automatic mail : « The pot file has been
> modified, now translate it please. ». But this notification could be
> activated or not on purpose by the local team (i.e. the maintainer of a
> local list for example).
>
> Let's decide of delays people should translate file. If a file has not
> been translated after a delay decided by the local team, the
> boss(es) of this team should be warned by a non automatic email (they
> could choose to have it or not for each po file).
>
> To look at other people work, we found no other way that sending
> diff of po to the local translation lists. This tremendously worked
> for Fedora 7 French translation process. Here is how we worked : one
> sends an email to the list to notify other people that he will work on a
> translation of his choice. He then add his name on a wiki page to keep
> a track of his work in progress state. Once he has finished translating,
> he sends to the local list the diff between the previous po file and his
> translation. All people who wants to read that diff can do  the
> translation is discussed. Each modification of a po file must end with
> a diff on the list, so be informed everybody of what has been done.
> Morally, he has no right to commit his work on the server if his work
> has not been read and commented by at least one person, and after a
> delay (decided between us) if no one makes new comments about the
> translation work.
>
> Here it is, I don't know what can be added to the webUI. Maybe a
> standalone script could do the same.

Much of this sounds like what CVS does with 'syncmail'.  It sends a copy
of every commit to a designated email address. For example, we send
every commit in /cvs/docs to one list (fedora-docs-commits).

CVS already creates this flow of content -- who committed what and when.
Because we can always roll-back changes, why not let people just commit?
When the translation is complete, use a CVS tag to mark the version as
ready.

Here is an idea:

* Have a mailing list of CVS commits per language
(fedora-l10n-commits-fr, fedora-l10n-commits-el, etc.) *plus* a master
list that gets all l10n commits (fedora-l10n-commits).

* The mailing list receives the commits to every module's po/ directory.
For example, when someone commits changes
to /cvs/anaconda/devel/po/fr.po
and /cvs/docs/release-notes/devel/po/fr.po, an email with the diff is
sent to fedora-l10n-commits-fr.

* Each language has one or more CVS Sponsors, who can approve requests
to join 'cvsl10n'.  When you Sponsor a new user, you agree to keep an
eye out in the commits mailing list for their work.

* Maybe FAS (account system) can add something to sponsorship, so it
especially emails all CVS commits directly to the Sponsor?  It could
last for e.g. eight weeks (two months), then stop automatically unless
renewed by the Sponsor.

Here are two ways this could work:

* "Modify 'syncmail' to send 2 messages on a commit made to every po/
directory or *.po file - the overall list, and the per-language list:"

cvs.fedoraproject.org:.*/po/$LANG.po
                                    |=> fedora-l10n-commits
                                    \=> fedora-l10n-commits-$LANG

* "Modify 'syncmail' to send 1 message on a commit made to every po/
directory or *.po file.  Then another script receives the commit email,
parses by $LANG, and performs other actions."

cvs.fedoraproject.org:.*/po/$LANG.po
                                    |=> fedora-l10n-commits => sort-by-lang.script
                                                               |=> fedora-l10n-commits-$LANG
                                                               |=> update stats on l10n.fp.o
                                                               \=> alert PO maintainer by db triggers

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project