moving all .po files to UTF-8

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sat Mar 3 01:15:48 UTC 2007

O/H Keld Jørn Simonsen έγραψε:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 01:24:53AM +0000, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
>>>
>>> Rather than doing it at build time, for all the software that's translated
>>> in/by Fedora, it seems simplest to do it in the .po files itself. Therefore,
>>> at some point in the next few days, we intend to do this in the CVS
>>> repository.
>>>
>>> Does anyone forsee any issues with this?
>
> I am not happy about this, and in general I think it is the wrong way to
> go. Eg. all my own tools for translation are using other charsets than
> UTF-8

Hi Keld,

I think most people would agree that UTF-8 is the "right" way to go -- that's
the reason for its existence, right? It's something that can make sure
everything will work for all languages.

I'm thinking that this is an opportunity for all who don't use it in their tools
to start using it. :)

>, and also, if the best charset for the source, according to a
> specific translator, would be something else than utf-8, and cvs is a
> source control system, then the cvs repository should store the source,
> and not something derived from the source.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Since UTF is a superset of all charsets
then it's at least equally good to those in representing characters. Most of our
tools not only support it, but use it as a default.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/