moving all .po files to UTF-8

Josep Puigdemont josep.puigdemont at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 07:59:35 UTC 2007

El dj 01 de 03 del 2007 a les 16:49 -0500, en/na Bill Nottingham va
escriure:
> A recent thread on the fedora development list discussed the benefits
> of having the translations in UTF-8 by default:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-March/msg00056.html
>
> Rather than doing it at build time, for all the software that's translated
> in/by Fedora, it seems simplest to do it in the .po files itself. Therefore,
> at some point in the next few days, we intend to do this in the CVS
> repository.

That sounds great.

> Does anyone forsee any issues with this?

The only issues I see is possible cvs conflicts with local modified
copies, which given the difference in charset might not be trivial to
resolve, and that translators might opt for checking in their local old
non-utf-8 copies instead (although I guess there will be a cvs trigger
that will prevent this?).

> (This would only involve changing roughly 36 of the 3900+ .po files in
> the translate repository.)

Since there are so few, could we get the list? Just to see if we'd be
affected :)

Best regards,

/Josep