Re: [Fwd: Translations: String freezes, CVS converging, Packaging]

Dana Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:40:08 +0100, Samuel Bizien <samuel-bizien club-internet fr> napisali ste:

Le mercredi 07 mars 2007 à 14:44 -0500, Jeremy Katz a écrit :
> Pros (many): increased modularity and maintenance (L10n repackages at
> will). App packages will be smaller in size -- we could provide
> one langpack or different ones per language.

The size difference for most of the app packages are going to be
negligible.  But now, to push a new pirut with new strings, I also have
to coordinate the pushing of n langpack packages.  Which are each
significantly larger than the amount you save on the app packages.

Jeremy

As I'm one of the "pros", i'd like to add that, on an entire system,
translations packages could (sometimes) represent 1/3 of total space
used !
On light systems, when I delete all unneeded translation file, I
sometimes free more dans 1GB disk space.

But this is data for the whole system. I don't know how much fedora
tools' translation files represent. Maybe it's almost nothing. I don't
know.

Samuel.

Well, POT files come to about 3MB. My translation are about 4.2MB, so the translation adds about 30%. Total translated average for Fedora is 50%. Currently there are 83 languages. Roughly speaking, half of them are 100%, half are 0%.
41*4.2 MB=172MB
41*3MB=123MB
subtotal= around 300MB

never downloaded all of them, will try later on, just for fun ;)

--
Best regards,
Renato Pavicic

mailto:repavici globalnet hr
also mailto:renato translator-shop org
homepage: www.translator-shop.org

Official Opera translator for Croatian language since April 2006