moving all .po files to UTF-8

Keld Jørn Simonsen keld at dkuug.dk
Mon Mar 12 03:16:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 07:28:04PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> On 3/11/07, Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld at dkuug.dk> wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 01:15:48AM +0000, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> >> O/H Keld Jørn Simonsen ????????????:

> >translated
> >Therefore,

> >> Hi Keld,
> >>
> >> I think most people would agree that UTF-8 is the "right" way to go --
> >that's
> >> the reason for its existence, right? It's something that can make sure
> >> everything will work for all languages.
> >
> >maybe most people, but this is not the question, - most people already
> >have gone to UTF-8 already.
>
> Exactly. Only a very small fraction are still using ISO-8859-* for
> their po files today, at least in most larger translation projects.
>

> >> I'm thinking that this is an opportunity for all who don't use it in
> >their tools
> >> to start using it. :)
> >
> >It would be a backwards step for me, UTF-8 allows some characters that I
> >automatically avoid using 8859-15. Thus my translations would have
> >fewer errors not using utf-8. And my tools run 8859-15.
>
> IIRC, you were the only one raising any big objections back in 2002
> when an upstream project (GNOME) moved to mandating UTF-8 for all po
> files [1]. If memory serves me well, the objections were the same back
> then.
>
> Given the amount of time that this has been an issue with those tools
> you refer to, couldn't those tools have been fixed in that time? It's
> been almost 5 years...

It still gives better quality, IMHO.  Why shift to something inferiour?

And since then, I have not done much for GNOME wrt. translations. And
Danish Gnome has dropped somewhat - 2.18 is now 83 % where the latest
used to be almost 100 % translated. So it is better for the project
overall to keep everybody on board.

Best regards
keld