Online translation tool?

Marek Mahut mmahut at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 1 14:17:47 UTC 2007

Hello Dimitris,

Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> I don't remember if I brought this up in the past, but some people have
> suggested to add a tool to our translation infrastructure for doing
> translations online. Some translators might prefer it, so we could have
> that too (as long as it integrates with our existing workflow).
>
> Benefits: more people working on the same translation, lower barrier to
> entry, easier to handle big files, tools have workflow embedded (reviews
> etc).
>
> To the folks that are interested in working on our l10n toolchain,
> here's a small task: Interested in investigating this a bit more? :)

+1, I think that this is what Fedora Translation project really needs.
If I look at ubuntu (lunchpad) or jamendo.com, I see that this strategy
works in awesome way!

Please, count me in for help!

> Some Qs that we'd need answered: What tools are out there (eg. Pootle)?
> How do they interface with the VCS and what are the options for
> authentication? What are their requirements in terms of software and
> infrastructure?

- From system point of view, I'm not sure what's the best. But form I've
heard pootle isn't so bad.

- Regarding authentication processes, I think everybody should be free
to translate without login, but for direct commit only few people (team
leads) would have ability to commit translated text.

- I would integrate it to transfix, what do you think? How much work is it?

> -d

Thank you,

--
Marek Mahut                           http://www.fedoraproject.org/