Auto detect language on fedoraproject.org

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 29 13:54:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:42:30AM +0200, Alexandru Szasz wrote:
> Isn't it possible to autodetect the language based on the ip address on
> fedoraproject.org? Like google does ?
> This, but leaving the option to change the language if there's a mistake
> (proxy or something).
The website should automatically use whatever language that the browser
is setup to request (using the Accept-Language header) with English as a
fallback.  (The setting should be under Edit->Preferences->Advanced->
Languages in Firefox).

In terms of automatically detecting based on IP.  This could probably be
done with mod_geoip, but I'm not that comfortable with mapping countries
to languages, etc.  I think Accept-Language + manual choice gives a good
balance.

Thanks,
Ricky