Auto merge not working (WAS: [Fwd: String changes for pirut to add error messages])

Miloš Komarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:09:36 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Marek Zukal <marek.zukal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Domingo Becker napsal(a):
> > 2007/9/7, Igor Pires Soares <igorsoares at gmail.com>:
> >> I also have merged the modules desc and summary. Here is what I've got:

> >> Desc: 1443 fuzzy, 4643 untranslated
> >>
> >> It looks very weird to me. The desc merge took 3 hours!
> >>

> > If it takes 3 hours only to update 1 language, it would take 10 days
> > to update all the languages. And the cron job is a daily one.
> > Maybe the automerge gets killed before it finishes.
> >
> I know it is complicated but maybe it would be better to divide specspo
> files into smaller ones. It would be easier to work on them in group and
> those merges wouldn't take so long. Is it possible? I started to
> translate Fedora recently so I don't know.

Sometimes I really fail to see the benefit of having summary and desc
in Fedora: sure it's nice to have them localised when the user is
browsing for software, but this should really happen upstream where
the software is coming from so all distros can benefit?

Even then, getting all this metadata for all the languages across the
network and parsing it everytime you run yum/pirut is IMHO quite
wasteful and slow, so even if it's only used in anaconda and only when
installing from DVD it still seems more trouble and valuable
translator time for questionable benefit...

Just my 5 para ;)

Milos