Stats (not) updating correctly

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 13:46:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 10:50 +0200, Bart Couvreur wrote:
> Op donderdag 13-09-2007 om 12:34 uur [tijdzone +0530], schreef
> Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel:
> > Dimitris Glezos લખ્યું:
> > > Στις 12-09-2007, ημέρα Τετ, και ώρα 18:14 -0300, ο/η Domingo Becker
> > > έγραψε:
> > >
> > > I think it is possible, and in fact even someone from us could do it
> > > every now and then, right?
> > >
> > > If we get to build something that can be run from one person and get it
> > > to become a bit mature and work right, then a cron could run it too, and
> > > Infra will be more willing to try it out than writing it from
> > > scratch. :)
> > >
> > 1. Why can't we run the existing automerge script running on
> > i18n.redhat.com through cronjob?
>
> Well we could keep that one up and running, just for the modules on
> i18n.r.c, but for the others that have moved this could become a bit
> problematic, we would need to have a script for each VCS. The automerge
> script works great for CVS, if it could be ported to git, hg, svn, ...
> it would be a start. Although that would make us responsible for keeping
> it working, keeping the weight off Infra

While the script "works", I wouldn't go so far as to say it works great.
Especially from the point of view of a maintainer.

The automerge currently ends up doing one commit per update which is
pretty annoying from the perspective of looking at the commit history of
the project.  With CVS, it matters slightly less since revision history
is only really per-file, but with a sane SCM, having 50 changesets in a
row that are "automerge translations" is going to be a quick way to
making a lot of people unhappy.

And really, the automerges probably shouldn't even be committed.  They
are zero difference as far as the output .mo file is concerned which
means that the changes are a lot of noise as far as the source control
is concerned :/

Jeremy